Thursday, March 1, 2012

Almost free body wash

What ya need:

  • 8 ounces bar of soap (I used some soap I had from Trader Joe's, 2 bars = 8 oz)
  • 2 tbsp glycerin ( bottle at Wal-Mart was $3.69)
  • 16 cups of water = 1 gallon
  • Cheese grater 
  • Stock pot
  • Hand mixer
  • Gallon jug or containers to store your finished product

What ya do:
  • Grate your soap like cheese. I started to do this step by hand and it took way to long for my liking. I pulled out my trusty Kitchen-Aid stand mixer and the slicing/grating attachment. Took 2 minutes to hook it up and to grate both bars of soap :)

  • Put your grated soap, the gallon of water and 2 tablespoons of glycerin in the stock pot. Heat on medium heat until all the soap is dissolved. It will look like cloudy soupy water at this point.
  • Take off the heat and let cool. The recipe I found said let it cool for 10 -12 hours, but mine was pretty cool after 4 hours. 

  • Add some water and beat this mixture with the hand held mixer. You may have to add more water as necessary if your soap was very thick like mine.  

  • Since my pot was too deep for my mixer, I had to transfer half the soap to a large mixing bowl.
  • When you get it to your desired consistency, you can add some perfume (I didn't). 
  • Funnel your new body wash into your gallon jug or containers (remember to label it)
  • My mixture actually made 1 gallon + 28 ounces of wash :)
michaela desiree

No comments:

Post a Comment